CFI’s Competition teams are groups of highly motivated individuals who work round the clock to meet challenging deadlines of various competitions. Over the years, our teams have have bagged prizes both at the national and international level.
Raftar Formula Racing
The Raftar formula racing team is recognized as one of the tireless, most dedicated teams at CFI.
They bagged a third consecutive podium finish at the Formula Bharat 2018, organized at Kari Motor Speedway, Coimbatore during January 24th to January 28th 2018. Raftar Formula Racing was placed Third Overall among seventy one teams from all over India, while winning the Fuel Efficiency event and placing second in Endurance (22 km run). The team’s latest challenger, RFR 18 was also the lightest aero packaged car in the competition with a weight of just 178 Kgs.
Raftar Formula Racing competed in Formula Student Germany 2018, acclaimed as the most prestigious Formula Student Competition in the world, held at the renowned Hockenheimring circuit. Raftar was the only Indian team to qualify for this prestigious Formula Student Competition. They cleared all rounds of Technical Inspection on time and set competitive times in Skidpad.
Team Anveshak was founded in 2015 with the sole purpose of exploring Field Robotics and foster the robotics culture at IIT Madras. The team has recently finished its 2nd anniversary and has successfully fabricated two variants of the Mars Rover Aurora and is currently working on the third version,which improves upon the issues in the former ones .
Team Anveshak aims to represent IIT Madras and India at the Rover Challenge series, an international platform for competitive robotics. The team comprises of 30 highly driven students.
- The team represented India in the University Rover Challenge(URC), 2017 at Utah, USA. They were the top 36 teams across the world that qualified for URC. Anveshak finished 29th out of 36 teams. They also won a sponsorship of $1000 from Protocase Inc. to manufacture future editions of the rover.
- In its second attempt, Team Anveshak has finished at 25th position at the 12th edition of University Rover Challenge (URC) 2018 that took place at Hanksville, Utah USA from 41 May to 2 June 2018.
The team is working with a mission to create efficient and safe transportation solutions, are trying to build a ground vehicle which is capable of navigating autonomously via GPS way-points.
- Team Abhiyaan participated in the Intelligent Ground Vehicle Competition (IGVC-2017) held at Oakland University, Michigan, USA. It was one among the two teams from India which qualified for the competition. After clearing the Design Challenge, they participated in the AutoNav challenge where they were one of the top 13 teams to qualify out of 35.
- Team Abhiyaan finished 10th overall and 5th in design competition among 36 registered international teams in the 26th Intelligent Ground Vehicle Competition (IGVC) organized at Oakland University from 1st to 4th June, 2018. Team qualified (only 11 teams could qualify) and completed the IGVC competition securing 5th position in design competition, 10th position in Auto-Nav (Automatic Navigation) Challenge and 10th position in final ranking. They also developed a state of the art path-planning algorithm based on RRT which has been done by only a handful of companies. The team has developed algorithms for lane detection and computer vision that are comparable to the best in the world. Their prototype is so energy efficient that a single battery of 25 Volts can power the vehicle for more than two hours.
- On March 29th 2018, the team participated in DRDO’s DRUSE (DRDO Robotics and Unmanned Systems Expositions for Defence Applications) challenge. With the same concept of AGV but different stakeholders, team qualified for regional level screening.
Team Avishkar Hyperloop
Team Avishkar represents IIT Madras, and India, at SpaceX Hyperloop Pod Competition, an international platform seeking innovations for fifth mode of transportation. The team comprising of 30 highly enthusiastic students is working with a mission to develop very fast and efficient transportation solutions to design the Hyperloop pod.
Team Avishkar was one of the top 47 teams across the world, to have successfully cleared the Preliminary Design Phase of SpaceX Hyperloop Pod competition 2018 and qualified for the Final Design Round. The team is now building the Self Propelled, Fully Autonomous Hyperloop Pod for SpaceX Hyperloop Pod Competition 2019. The Team also proposed two projects, Linear Induction Motors powered by Ultra capacitors and Permanent Magnets Levitation for High Speed Transportation, in ICSR Innovative Projects and got approved.
- The team participated in Underwater Technology Conference , 2015 at NIOT and their paper “Design and motion control of Autonomous Underwater Vehicle, Amogh” presented here has been published on IEEE Xplore.
- Amogh was ranked amongst top 15 in the world from
39 participating teams in 17th International RoboSub Competition
(AUVSI Foundation) San Diego, USA and was declared best team from India.
- The team won the national Students Autonomous Vehicle competitions
- National Student Design Competition 2013, NDRF:
- Gold Medal in Electrical Engineering Category
- Silver Medal in Marine Engineering Category
Lockheed Martin Team
The Lockheed Martin is a University Design Challenge.
- 18 students from IITM designed a cargo ground build-up system (CGBS) that can cut down operation time from eight hours to less than 90 minutes. It’s a transportable vehicle which can be moved quickly in and out of the aircraft, cutting out the need for manual labour to offload relief material.
- The competition held on 7-8th March, 2016, FICCI Federation House, New Delhi was successful for the team.The response that the team got from the judges, especially the ones from Lockheed Martin,DRDO and TATA, was very encouraging. Both the companies are very interested in the commercialisation of our concept of Cargo Ground Build Up (CGBS) which is a transportable cargo handling vehicle for the C-130.
- Lockheed Martin has given the team $60,000 for the prototype.
Adhira Formula Racing had a great start in the first season of the Formula Bharat Electrical Vehicle Design Challenge, organized at Kari Motor Speedway, Coimbatore during January 26th to January 28th 2018.
Team Adhira was placed Fifth Overall among nineteen teams from all over India, while placing third in the Cost and sustainability analysis event and placing Seventh in the design review.
The Team was lauded for its design approach by judges having ranked first among teams that don’t yet having a working car.